History of Haig Park
Haig Park was originally planted in 1921 as a windbreak to protect the developing suburbs of Braddon and Turner. It is listed on the ACT Heritage Register for its designed function as a windbreak and its mass tree plantings of eight species.
It is recognised as a rare example of mixed evergreen and deciduous row plantings that remain highly intact. The heritage registration specifically cites the location of the trees as well as the species of the trees as being critical to preserving the park’s heritage value. The park is 1780m long and has 14 rows of trees.
The masterplan will look at ways to work with the heritage and recognises the trees as an important asset to the park, as well as an important part of its identity.
The heritage status of the park requires that a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) be prepared to guide any future development and management of the park. A CMP will set out how the heritage value of the park is to be conserved. This will be used to guide the management of the park and any proposed works such as paths or play equipment. The CMP requires endorsement by the ACT Heritage Council.