Project status: Complete
How you had YourSay:
We are re-energising the Woden Town Square through the #WodenExperiment.
Initial comments were sought on potential activities and events that could be part of the #WodenExperiment activation of the Woden Town Square.
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the #WodenExperiment from September to November 2018.
The #WodenExperiment opened to the public on 6 March 2019.
If you've visited and experienced the #WodenExperiment, we want to know what you thought. Fill out our short survey and provide your feedback.
What we looked at:
The design includes activity hubs, including a work hub and community hub. Key design elements include a stage for community performances, smart benches with phone and laptop charging, flexible table settings next to areas set aside for pop up food and drink vendors, turf areas with natural play sculptural elements and an outdoor table tennis facility.
We asked the community for ideas to activate the space.
The ideas put forward included:
- developing an arts and cultural development program
- live music and after work drinks
- using the Woden Experiment facilities for meetings and catch ups
- fundraising BBQs by community organisations and groups
- screening local sports and short films.
The feedback also touched on the design including:
- a vision for a play space for kids and adults alongside al fresco dining and cafes
- ensuring that the activation is accessible
- creating a smoke free culture in the square and smoke free zones
- sculptural elements that kids can climb on
- providing shelter and active surveillance
- protection from the wind and heat radiation.
The installation of temporary furniture and landscape elements will encourage the community to stay, use and enjoy the space with family and friends. It will build on the success of similar installations for the 2016 #BackyardExperiment and 2018 micro park pop up at Woden Library.
How we used your views:
We considered your comments in preparing the final design. The design has been updated to include temporary natural sculptural elements for play.
Project evaluation will be undertaken throughout the six month activation.
Keep updated on events and opportunities on the Woden Experiment Facebook page.